All summer I have been experimenting with natural dyes from the plants in my yard. After getting many wonderful yellows, I was full of anticipation to try pokeberries and get red for a change. And it worked!
I used Rebecca Burgess’s method from Harvesting Color, which involves vinegar as a mordant and keeping the dye between 160° – 180°. However, I did not remove the stems – I put the whole stem and berries into a net laundry bag to keep the plant material out of the yarn, and crushed them as best I could in the bag. Then I left the whole thing in the pot with the yarn. (Burgess credits the woman who experimented to find this method, which is colorfast, but I have lent out my book and can’t look up her name.)
I don’t know what I will use this yarn for, but I am so thrilled with the results.
And now, for some added colorious adorableness, a Green Treefrog I spotted the other day in the pear treel
I hope you are as happy with your current project, whatever it may be!