A Little Cleverness is a Dangerous Thing, Part One
It’s been a busy year and I have hardly gotten any projects done. When I finally had a chance to get into the sewing room, I thought it would be best to use up some supplies I’ve had for years, and work on some UFOs (UnFinished Objects).
A few years ago, I set aside time to try out all kinds of materials I had read about. One technique was to fuse fibers into a non-woven fabric with textile medium. I tried it, I was not happy with the results, and said I would not do it again. But as the years went by, my memory faded.
This practice piece I had made was sitting out on top of a bin of fabric, and I kept looking at it, thinking that the fused fiber cloth I had used for the edges was the best part of the whole piece. I kept thinking, “The color is good, it has a nice crisp finish — why didn’t I like that technique?”
I still had a bunch of the fiber (and still no spinning wheel to spin it up), so I cleverly decided to use up that fiber by making fused fibers again.
Basically you lay out a thin layer of fiber on a window screen, place another layer at right angles to the first, add another layer in the same direction as the first, spray the whole thing with water, and then sponge with textile medium.
I was really layering the fibers evenly, in thin sheets, and having fun, but quickly my thoughts turned to, “Why is this coming out so unevenly? I have done this before! How much textile medium is this going to take? Man, this is an expensive piece of fabric!”
When it dried and I carefully pulled it from the screen, it was puckered and cratered. I pressed it using parchment paper, but it didn’t look any better. The colors are okay, but the texture is not exactly something I would want to use. It’s uneven and stodgy to handle. I think I could use it to make a journal cover or Kindle cover, but it is not worth the time and effort it took.
I was so puzzled as to why it had turned out better the first time, and finally took a closer look at the edges of the dragonfly piece.
I had run the original fused fiber through the scanner and photo editor, and then printed it on cloth! I even wrote that in my post back then.
Oh well, I can still use the photos of this batch and do the same thing, print them on fabric and use them that way. But never again! I mean it this time!
Next up: More craft complications with a quilt.