More Play Mats
I bought two sets of these play mat panels almost a year ago at a shop hop. I made one set for the neighbor kids, and I finally finished the other set for my grandson.
My genius idea when I first made them, was to make two small mats, city on one side and country on the other, instead of making one giant bed-size mat. I thought it would be easier to sew and to launder, and that the kids could enjoy arranging them different ways.
For this set, I had to piece the “country” side out of several green fabrics. As before, I added very simple shapes for ponds and parking lots (or tar pits, if you are playing with dinosaurs). I used interfacing instead of batting, to give the mats a little body so they would lie flat, without being so puffy that toy animals would not be able to stand up. (And also because I have lots of interfacing to use up.)
I fused down the edges of the curving pieces, but when I went to stitch along the raw edges, one pond piece gave me fits! I had to stop every 10 stitches or so and pull glue lumps off the needle. The only thing I could think of was that I had used Heat and Bond Lite from two different rolls, finishing up an old roll and then starting a new one, and the new one was the troublesome one. In the future, I will try fusing and sewing through a sample piece, before I use lots of fusible all over a project.
And next time I have trouble falling asleep, I am going to count the different ways these mats could be arranged!