When my friend Liz saw the animal quilt I posted recently, she thought it would be perfect for young relatives who are expecting a baby. That quilt already had a home, so I offered to do another one. The parents-to-be are very sophisticated and well-traveled (their wedding was in a French castle and their honeymoon was a safari), and they are decorating their nursery in soft neutrals with a safari theme.
My first stop was Pinterest, where I found these two quilts for inspiration–
And then I went to Fabric.com where I saw this beautiful Riley Blake design, “Waterhole” (which of course is on sale now, but wasn’t a few weeks ago), so I purchased that in two colorways, with some companion fabrics from different design lines. I planned to augment with some batiks and geometrics I already had, as well.
I don’t really like the feeling of fusible applique, so I was happy to find this tutorial , “The look of hand applique by machine,” from Pam Buda, at the Quilt Digest website.
I found some clip art animal drawings, and drew around them on freezer paper to make the applique patterns.
I followed the tips in the tutorial to make the giraffe:
The ironing took a lot of time to get the seam allowance pressed properly, and pulling out the freezer paper pattern was a little fidgety. I was thinking, “this is more work than making a stuffed animal.”
So for the elephant, I used a double layer of fabric (right sides together), cut two elephant shapes, and stitched around them as if I was making a stuffed toy. Then I flipped right sides out, pressed, and stitched the whole thing to the background fabric.
I know some people clip out the layers of background fabric where the applique covers it, but I left all the layers, and it is not noticeably bulky there. Maybe a little bit, but hey, it’s an elephant and they are bulky.
Then I added a few details with free-motion thread sketching.
I thought the design from Pinterest was a little too plain, and wanted to add more geometric panels. Putting them together was fun, but arranging them with the applique panels was much harder than I would have predicted. Never have I ever arranged a quilt in so many different ways! Sashing between the panels or not? Pops of color or not? Areas of stronger color or not?
It was very difficult for me to work with so little contrast, but the recipients had stressed soft neutrals. I came to appreciate the balance and simplicity of the original design.
I really wanted the giraffe on the top right, but finally I moved it to the bottom, and achieved some sort of balance.
I would have loved to quilt animal shapes and continents to reinforce the theme of the quilt, but I quilt on a domestic sewing machine, so I just did a simple meander.
I like to use Robbi Joy Enlow’s method of facing a quilt, and I like the little pop of contrast offered by the triangle corners.
I love it! What a sweet baby quilt!
A very tasteful baby quilt! I love that Riley Blake fabric you found and your design on the quilt!
That was a labour of LOVE! I too like the darker piece at the water hole and you did a brilliant job with the giraffe. What a fiddle 🙂
Thanks, Susan! It was a little time consuming but it was good for me to try a new technique. Not that I foresee doing a lot of it! 🙂
Yes, the giraffe needed to be in the lower right corner. You can get rid of the stiffness of fusible by using it just along the outer edges of a shape. Cut out the whole shape from paper backed fusible and then cut out most of the middle, leaving a border of fusible, which can be fused to your good fabric.
That is a really good tip; thank you!
WOW! So much work and love went into making this quilt. It is beautiful and I appreciate your skill and talent!
Thanks, Liz, I hope the recipients like it too! 🙂
That is quite a work of art! I’ve done some applique using Eleanor Burns’ technique of cutting an identical shape from interfacing and using it the way you did your second elephant. I found it a bit difficult to keep the interfacing rolled to the underside where it wouldn’t be seen at the edge, so the matching fabric you used may be a better solution.
Thank you, Mary. The interfacing idea is great too, especially if you are short on the applique fabric. I hope I remember that!
It’s a lovely quilt, both fun and sophisticated. Definitely one they’ll treasure!
Thanks, Kate, I love your combination of complimentary words!
that’s genius, making a double for the heffalump and then appliqueing it on. genius.
Thanks! It was easier for me than turning all those seam allowances carefully. 🙂
Pingback: Some New Tops | Deep in the Heart of Textiles